• Ideas for you_Gamifying classrooms to enhance learners engagement

Gamification in teaching involves applying principles commonly found in games, such as competition, rewards, challenges, and feedback, to educational contexts to make learning more enjoyable, interactive, and immersive.

Here is some inspiration for you and some examples to demonstrate how gamification can be applied across various subjects and grade levels to enhance student engagement, motivation, and learning outcomes in the classroom.

⭐ Classroom Rewards System: Create a points-based system where students earn points for completing homework assignments, participating in class discussions, demonstrating good behavior, or achieving academic milestones. Students can redeem their points for rewards such as extra credit, small prizes, or privileges like choosing a class activity.

⭐ Educational Board Games: Incorporate board games related to the curriculum into lessons to make learning more interactive and engaging. For example, a history teacher could use a board game based on historical events where students answer questions or solve puzzles to advance on the game board.

⭐ Interactive Quizzes and Kahoot!: Use online quiz platforms like Kahoot! to turn quizzes into competitive games. Students can answer questions on their devices, earning points for correct answers and speed. This fosters friendly competition and encourages active participation.

⭐ Escape Room Challenges: Design classroom escape room challenges where students work in teams to solve puzzles or complete tasks related to the lesson. For example, in a science class, students might solve science-related puzzles to "escape" from a virtual laboratory.

⭐ Role-Playing Activities: Organize role-playing activities where students take on roles of historical figures, literary characters, or scientific phenomena. They can engage in debates, simulations, or improvisational activities to deepen their understanding of the subject matter.

⭐ Classroom Challenges: Create classroom-wide challenges or competitions related to academic goals or character development. For instance, a reading challenge where students aim to read a certain number of books within a set timeframe, with rewards for reaching milestones.

⭐ Virtual Class Economy: Introduce a virtual economy system where students earn "currency" for completing tasks and exhibiting positive behavior. They can use this currency to purchase items, privileges, or experiences within the classroom.

⭐ Gamified Learning Platforms: Utilize gamified learning platforms or educational apps that incorporate game elements into lessons. For example, Duolingo gamifies language learning by awarding points, badges, and rewards for completing lessons and practicing regularly.

⭐ Simulations and Virtual Labs: Use simulations or virtual labs to allow students to explore real-world scenarios in a safe and interactive environment. For instance, a biology class might use a virtual dissection simulation to study anatomy without the need for actual specimens.

⭐ Progress Tracking and Leveling Up: Implement a system where students track their progress and "level up" as they master skills or complete assignments. This can be visualized through progress bars, badges, or certificates, providing a sense of achievement and motivation to progress further.

What gamification tools have you tried in your classroom? Can you share some other gamification examples or resources for teachers?

• @Ana_moderator

Gamifying really works when you swap your roles with your students, as georgian guru of Humanistic pedagogy, Amanashvilli says 'kids love taking adult roles' let them experience that regularly.
    When one is a little kid, he loves grow faster and command.
    I mean they'd likely to take more serious responsibilities in role playing games.

• Well, I use plenty of game resources since I do love games and my students are always enthusiastic about them. I mostly apply gamification tools to practice grammar and vocabulary. Here is my list (which is not exhaustive):
    wordwall.net
    baamboozle.com
    learningapps.com
    wheeldecide.com
    online-stopwatch.com
    superteacherworksheets.com/generator-word-scramble.html
    https://www.visualthesaurus.com/bee/play
    https://bingobaker.com/
    https://www.edu-games.org/word-games/crosswords/communicative-crossword.php
    https://quizizz.com/
    https://quizlet.com/ (Game mode - Classic live)
    Tic tac boom app
    different random generators, e.g. https://www.rangen.co.uk/chars/jobgen.php

These are the ones I use regularly there are also others I come across from time to time and also build them into my teaching routine.

I've also tried https://www.classcraft.com/ru/ but not as successfully as I'd like to, feel that I have to explore it better.

• I have used Kahoot and quizlet.
    I use more role games: For example, in a class with SEN students we pretend the customers and the sellers in order to realize the concepts of business and entrepreneurship.

• Gamifying classrooms to enhance learner engagement can be a highly effective strategy. One idea could be to develop a points or rewards system where students earn points for completing assignments, participating in class discussions, or demonstrating mastery of concepts. These points could then be redeemed for rewards such as extra credit, privileges, or even tangible prizes. Another idea could involve incorporating elements of competition, such as leaderboard rankings or team-based challenges, to encourage friendly rivalry and motivation among students. Additionally, incorporating game-like elements such as quests, levels, and achievements into lesson plans can make learning more interactive and enjoyable. As for software, there are various educational platforms and apps available that allow teachers to gamify their classrooms easily. These software solutions often come with customizable features such as point tracking, leaderboard creation, and interactive learning modules, making it convenient for educators to tailor the gamification experience to their specific classroom needs. By leveraging gamification techniques and utilizing appropriate software, teachers can create a more engaging and dynamic learning environment that fosters student motivation and participation.OIP (1).jpg R.png
    Here are some examples of applications that gamify education:
    Application Description
    Kahoot! Interactive quizzes and games for learning and assessment.
    Classcraft Role-playing game where students complete tasks and earn rewards.
    Prodigy Math game with a fantasy adventure theme.
    CodeCombat Game-based coding lessons.
    Minecraft: Education Educational version of Minecraft for immersive learning.
    Duolingo Language learning app with gamified lessons.
    DragonBox Math games teaching algebraic concepts.

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• Simulations and virtual labs offer a dynamic way for students to dive into real-world experiences in a secure and engaging setting. Whether unraveling the intricacies of biology or conducting physics experiments, these tools provide a hands-on approach without the constraints of traditional resources. For example, students can partake in a virtual dissection in biology class, enabling them to grasp anatomical concepts without physical specimens. By embracing simulations and virtual labs, students can develop a deeper understanding of complex subjects while fostering curiosity and exploration in a risk-free environment.
    Another tool I use is Kahoot! Kahoot is a popular gamification tool that primary teachers can use to make learning fun and engaging for their students. With Kahoot!, teachers can create interactive quizzes, surveys, and discussions that turn learning into a game. Students can participate using their own devices, allowing for individualized learning experiences and immediate feedback. Kahoot! also offers a variety of ready-made educational games on various subjects, making it easy for teachers to incorporate gamified elements into their lessons and keep students motivated and excited about learning.

• @Antonia Kahoot is really invaluable resource! We also practised giving the students the task of creating their own quizzes in Kahoot, and this always was a hit, especially when the quizzes were to be done later by the classmates. Game + choice + autonomy boosts students' motivation.

• I prefet Microsoft tool like:
    to gamify classrooms using Microsoft tools, you could start by having students compete in PowerPoint Olympics, where they create dynamic presentations under a time limit while earning points for creativity and accuracy. Another idea could be turning Excel into a virtual stock market game, where students invest in hypothetical stocks and track their progress over time. For a more interactive approach, you could use Minecraft: Education Edition to recreate historical events or literary settings, allowing students to explore and complete quests within the game. Additionally, you could utilize Microsoft Forms to create quizzes or surveys with leaderboards, encouraging friendly competition among students. These gamification strategies not only enhance engagement but also provide valuable opportunities for learning and collaboration.

Now, for the mal answer: Why bother with gamification when you can simply lecture at students for hours on end? Microsoft tools are great for creating elaborate spreadsheets documenting every minute of the day spent not gamifying the classroom. Instead of PowerPoint Olympics, how about PowerPoint Marathons where students have to endure hours of slide after slide until they collapse from boredom? And forget about Minecraft; let's use Word to create a virtual world where the only activity is writing essays on the importance of not having fun in school. Microsoft Forms? More like Microsoft Boredoms, where students fill out endless surveys about how much they wish they were playing actual games instead of these sad attempts at gamification. In conclusion, who needs engagement when you have Microsoft Office?

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• Dear colleagues, do you do you use VR|AR with your students?

• @Ana_moderator We do not, I'm not sure if our school administration considered having this technology at school. These may considerably serve well - allow to experience visiting remoted areas securely, visualize the results of the project and many others. VR/AR can help the students with physical disabilities. However, the technology is quite expensive so educational institutions will want to estimate if its advantages are worth its cost. I also can't help thinking of health restrictions when it comes to using VR and AR. Personally, I'd like to use VR/AR, I'm sure that will definitely benefit learners if used thoughtfully.