• Ideas for you_Build innovative environment in classroom with ICT

Building an innovative environment in the classroom with Information and Communication Technology (ICT) involves integrating technology seamlessly into teaching practices to enhance learning experiences and foster creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration among students.

Here is some inspiration for you and some teaching practices for creating such an environment:

⚙ Flipped Classroom Model: Implement the flipped classroom model, where students engage with instructional content online outside of class and use class time for interactive activities, discussions, and hands-on projects. Use ICT tools such as educational videos, podcasts, or interactive multimedia resources to deliver content asynchronously, allowing students to learn at their own pace.

There is a discussion about Traditional VS flipped classroom for adaptive and individualized learning on our E-Teach Forum
    Click here

⚙ Project-Based Learning (PBL): Embrace project-based learning approaches that emphasize inquiry, problem-solving, and collaboration. Use ICT tools such as digital project management platforms, collaborative document editors, and multimedia creation tools to facilitate project planning, research, and presentation. Encourage students to use technology creatively to showcase their learning through multimedia presentations, digital storytelling, or interactive websites.

⚙ Personalized Learning: Utilize ICT tools to differentiate instruction and cater to diverse learning needs and preferences. Use adaptive learning platforms, educational apps, and learning management systems to deliver personalized learning experiences tailored to individual student interests, abilities, and learning styles. Provide students with opportunities to explore topics of interest, set learning goals, and receive targeted feedback and support through digital resources and adaptive assessments.

⚙ Collaborative Learning Environments: Create collaborative learning environments where students work together to solve problems, share ideas, and co-create knowledge. Use ICT tools such as online discussion forums, virtual classrooms, and collaborative document editing platforms to facilitate communication and collaboration among students, both inside and outside the classroom. Encourage peer learning, teamwork, and collective problem-solving through collaborative projects, group assignments, and peer feedback activities.

⚙ Inquiry-Based Learning: Promote inquiry-based learning approaches that encourage students to ask questions, investigate concepts, and seek solutions independently. Use ICT tools such as digital research databases, online simulations, and virtual labs to provide students with access to a wealth of information and resources for inquiry-based exploration and experimentation. Encourage students to use technology to conduct research, analyze data, and communicate findings effectively.

⚙ Critical Thinking and Digital Literacy: Foster critical thinking skills and digital literacy by integrating ICT tools into activities that require students to evaluate information, analyze data, and solve complex problems. Use digital storytelling, multimedia analysis, and online debate platforms to engage students in critical thinking tasks that require them to assess the credibility, relevance, and reliability of digital information. Provide opportunities for students to develop digital literacy skills such as information literacy, media literacy, and digital citizenship through guided inquiry, reflective practice, and collaborative inquiry projects.

What about you? Do you easily adapt to technological advancements? What is your the most preferable teaching practice so far and why?

• Project-Based Learning (PBL) is a powerful teaching approach that fosters inquiry, problem-solving, and collaboration among students. Through the use of digital project management platforms, collaborative document editors, and multimedia creation tools, students are engaged in hands-on projects that require critical thinking and creativity. PBL encourages students to explore real-world challenges, conduct research, and present their findings in innovative ways, promoting a deep understanding of the subject matter. By embracing PBL, educators can create dynamic learning environments where students take ownership of their learning and develop essential skills for success in the 21st century.

• Hi, I like to combine those teaching practices in my classroom. Since I'm an ICT teacher, I don't have a problem with integrating technology, but it's hard to find appropriate apps or virtual environments for teaching that are suitable for our needs and privacy settings are adjusted for students in primary and secondary school.
    Here's one great example created by me and researcher from KU Leuven that teachers can use in their classroms (https://zenodo.org/records/7607988). It integrates technology, and is also multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary project. European commission selected it among top three best projects and professionaly produced, translated to 24 U languages, and it is published here. The material repository at hand proposes a game-based educational process for 7–15-year-old students which motivates them to critically assess fundamental physical phenomena (e.g., light), formulate a basic hypothesis, evaluate their thinking by programming SBCs to capture the relevant measurement data, and disseminate about the lessons learned to their peers. They participate in a game like treasure hunt, tackling physics-based challenges and deciphering clues, with the goal of finding the forgotten scientist. The activity is named after Galileo Galilei, the father of the scientific method.

Dalia Kager, mag. prim. educ.

• Creating an innovative classroom environment with ICT (Information and Communication Technology) can revolutionize traditional teaching methods. Introducing interactive whiteboards where students can collaborate in real-time, utilizing educational apps and software for personalized learning experiences, and incorporating devices like tablets or laptops for research and project-based learning are just a few ideas. Additionally, implementing virtual reality (VR) or augmented reality (AR) experiences can transport students to historical events or scientific phenomena, enhancing their understanding in immersive ways. Furthermore, fostering a culture of digital literacy and encouraging students to explore coding, robotics, and other STEM-related activities can cultivate critical thinking and problem-solving skills essential for the future. With ICT seamlessly integrated into the classroom, students can engage with content in dynamic ways, promoting creativity, collaboration, and lifelong learning.ed88026575d9763e1656b61bf6bda06f.jpg Sarah-Dooley-Center-for-Autism-Grand-Opening-768x512.jpg Wier.Hawkin--5+-+V2.jpg

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• Dear collegue I am a special education teacher and I think that integrating Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in special education can have transformative effects on the learning environment for educators specializing in this field. By incorporating innovative tools such as interactive whiteboards, educational apps, and devices like tablets or laptops, teachers can create engaging and personalized learning experiences for students with diverse needs.

• Very good ideas.........ther is some Miicrosoft tools :
    Microsoft offers a comprehensive suite of tools designed to support students with disabilities across various educational settings. Immersive Reader, integrated into applications like OneNote and Word, assists those with dyslexia and reading difficulties through features like text-to-speech and customizable text settings. Learning Tools in Office 365 provide dictation, text-to-speech, and enhanced visual options to aid students with diverse learning needs. Accessibility Checker in Office applications ensures documents are accessible by identifying and fixing potential issues. Additionally, Microsoft Translator facilitates real-time language translation for students with hearing impairments or language barriers. Windows Ease of Access settings provide features such as Magnifier and Narrator, while the Xbox Adaptive Controller enhances accessibility in gaming. These tools collectively foster a more inclusive learning environment, empowering students with disabilities to fully engage in their education.

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• I firmly believe that pupils of special needs have to be integrated in the teaching and learning process through innovative pedagogies. Educators have to embed varied learning styles so that no child lags behind in the classroom. If the latter is working with slow learners in a low performing school, he should integrate the differentiated approach so as to meet the needs of diverse learners.
    Inclusiveness is a value which is considered pivotal for an educator and it is highly recommendedby the National Curriculum Framework of Mauritius. The Nine Year Continuous Basic Education also favors the concept of inclusion. This philosophy implies that children with special needs will be provided with an education adapted to their learning needs and abilities.
    There are various opportunities provided to educators so that they can integrate inclusiveness in their teaching profession.

• Assisted technology is available at schools so as to facilitate the teaching and learning process of students having sight, hearing or speech, emotional or behvioural problems or difficulties with reading, writing and speaking.

• Magnifying software and screen reader software are also available to enhance the learning experience of students having visual impairment especially in SEN schools.
      There is also the possibility of accommodating and modifying the curriculum as per the learning needs of students.

• Building an innovative environment in the classroom with Information and Communication Technology (ICT) involves integrating digital tools and resources in ways that foster creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and problem-solving skills among students. This can include using interactive whiteboards, educational apps, online platforms, and multimedia content to enhance traditional teaching methods. By incorporating ICT, educators can personalize learning experiences, cater to diverse learning styles, and encourage student engagement. Moreover, ICT facilitates access to up-to-date information, encourages exploration, and prepares students for the digital world they will encounter beyond the classroom. Creating such an environment requires thoughtful planning, ongoing professional development for teachers, and a commitment to leveraging technology effectively to enhance learning outcomes.OIP.jpg

• Sankoré is a project which promotes the integration of ICT in primary schools. It is available in all primary schools in Mauritius. Infact the Sankoré project is a Franco-British partnership which aims to educate some 16 million African children from Anglophone and Francophone countries. It aims at helping Africa to achieve the Education for All ( EFA) goals through digital empowerment. The Sankoré is an interactive whiteboard. It is an effective tool as it promotes student centered approach. Pupils of mixed abilities are integrated in the teaching and learning process. Students normally enjoy the aspect of physical interacting with the board. The Interactive Whiteboard (IWB) motivates the learners by making the lesson more enjoyable and interesting, resulting in improved attention behaviour and because of the multi-sensory input, all types of learning styles do benefit. Educators were trained to implement this project. They have the opportunities to prepare their lesson and upload it. It is an effective tool as teachers and learners have access to a wide range of educational lessons. It can be said that the Sankoré provides education through innovative technology. The newness of the technology is highly welcomed by pupils and motivates them to participate in the classroom. Indeed IWB classes generated more enthusiasm and attention from the students.

• My students and I have partnered with European schools on a platform called Etwinning

• @Dalia-Kager said in Ideas for you_Build innovative environment in classroom with ICT:

Here's one great example created by me and researcher from KU Leuven that teachers can use in their classroms (https://zenodo.org/records/7607988). It integrates technology, and is also multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary project.

Thank you for sharing the materials with a very detailed instructions! I really like the approach when the students learn through real practice, by creating the content!
    Do you use it,as it is mentined, with students of 7 - 9 y.o. or you also tried with with older students?

• @Housna thank you for sharing! Could you please provide a link to this program?

• @Ana_moderator

Hello,
    Please find below the link to the Sankoré Project. It is an effective tool which can be used even at tertiary level. Indeed it is an interactive whiteboard where students can actively be involved in the teaching and learning process. It caters for diverse needs of learners.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://github.com/Sankore/open-Sankore--install-&ved=2ahUKEwiutfeBh5WGAxXp1AIHHdCrCRYQFnoECCoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2NoGfp_YOZFL7WUyhzGn2l

https://youtu.be/sgWZDlj_lFc?si=xIvi0_YpAhm0sg3d

Another project is the EDLP. Next topic for discussion.

• @Ana_moderator

I'm all for embracing technological advancements in education! Adapting to new technologies can be exciting and rewarding, especially when it enhances inclusive teaching practices and improves student learning outcomes. Among the teaching practices you mentioned, I find the flipped classroom model particularly intriguing. It allows for a more personalized and flexible learning experience, where students can engage with content at their own pace and use class time for meaningful interactions and hands-on activities. The ability to incorporate ICT tools like videos, podcasts, and interactive resources into the flipped model adds a dynamic element to the learning process, making it more engaging and accessible to students with diverse learning styles.

As for my most preferable teaching practice, I'm a fan of project-based learning (PBL) with my students with autism. I believe PBL fosters essential skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, collaboration, and creativity, which are crucial for students' future success.

By integrating ICT tools like digital project management platforms and multimedia creation tools, students can explore real-world problems, conduct research, and collaborate on meaningful projects that showcase their understanding and skills. PBL encourages students to take ownership of their learning, apply knowledge in authentic contexts, and develop a deeper understanding of concepts through hands-on experiences.

• Yes, think about the scale of technologies , we should completely escape from 21st Century tool delivering 20th Century instruction... Technology alone provides only surface knowledge, it cannot transform education. New pedagogical models centered in building supportive, creative learning relationships use technology and digital resources as tools that enable and accelerate the new learning goals and make learning relevant to the needs of students, relate to their prior knowledge and interests.

• @Bilim

Hi Bilim,
    Hope everything is going well.

I'm worry about the speed of technology. Our students are having more contact with technology than ever before. Also, they are having more interactions than teachers. This creates a gap that sometimes present a challenge that the majority of teachers here in Puerto Rico give up due to the lack of resources.

I try to face these challenges looking for grants for technology for my students who lives in rural areas or under poverty levels. I agree that technology accelerate the process, but we need more support for our government in order to match what really matter nowadays in education, to give our students a competitive advantage.

Best,
    Mr. Bryan

• @Bousl2336873cb4

Hi Bousl,
    Hope everything os going well,

As you mentioned a thoughtful planning in education is crucial as it provides a structured and systematic approach to learning, ensuring alignment with educational goals and standards. In SPED we create an Individualized Educational plan (IEP) one school year before to meet the unique needs of our student with disabilities and that process is fundamental.

In this plan assistive technology is crucial for what you said, to build an innovative environment in the classroom.

Best,
    Mr. Bryan

• @Housna

Hi Housna,
    Hope everything is going well.

I found the web page for the project, and it is inspiring (https://digitalclassroommauritius.weebly.com/index.html). The students that are part of the project are blessed to have you as part of the initiative. Best of luck in moving this project into other schools and classrooms.

Best of luck in your project.
    Mr. Bryan

• Hello everyone,

As a preschool educator, I have discovered the potential of ChatGPT as a tool to enhance our educational practices. This advanced AI language model can generate imaginative stories, introduce new vocabulary, suggest educational games, answer children's questions, and engage in discussions about emotions and social skills. Additionally, ChatGPT can provide valuable support for educators and parents by offering advice on child development and classroom management. By using ChatGPT responsibly and under adult supervision, we can create engaging, enjoyable, and educational experiences for our youngest learners. I am excited to continue exploring its possibilities and look forward to hearing about your experiences and ideas.

Best regards,
    Marija Krstic Radojkovic
    marijakrstic016@homail.com

• @marijakrstic016 said in Ideas for you_Build innovative environment in classroom with ICT:

Marija

Hi Marija, could you please share how do you generate educational games for your students?