• Activities and resources for teaching about Climate Change

According to the latest UNESCO report https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000383615

70% of the youth surveyed cannot explain Climate Change, or can only explain its broad principles, or do not know anything about it.

Do you talk to your students about Climate Change? How can school become a place where people get prepared for Climate Change?

Let’s try to collect climate change education practices here.

How do you teach about Climate Change?
    What resourses do you use to teach about Climate Change?
    Please share your ideas on the topic in the replies below⬇

• An online course for teachers on how to integrate climate education in teacher training curricula

Check out a new E-library open course "ICT in Greening TVET"

This course aims to support education professionals through the integration of climate education in teacher training curricula.

The course is intended to give the stakeholders an overview of the main ways, methods, and principles of providing access to education and its efficiency improvement based on the systemic application of ICT tools adjusted to the student needs.

Comments, feedback, insights from the course below 👇

• I often use resources from the website World's Largest Lesson.

They provide free and creative resources for educators to teach lessons, run projects and stimulate action in support of Sustainable Development Goals.
    You can find lesson plans, educational materials or ideas for school campaigns in several languages, for different age groups, themes and duration.

I highly recommend to check it out
    https://worldslargestlesson.globalgoals.org/a36a2ea3-4251-4128-89b4-23271dca71ae-image.png

• Plastic pollution is one of the top topics to explore when we teach about the climate change.

The National Geographic Education platform offers free educational resources to help teach about ocean plastic pollution https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/resource-library-plastic-pollution/

There are articles, videos, infographics, interactive maps of ocean garbage patches, quizzes and other teaching materials that can be used to engage students in discussions about plastic pollution and ways to reduce it.
    a207b370-d6ea-47ba-bc7d-01c43db6e132-image.png

• THese are very useful, the problem in my Country (Kazakhstan) is - the language of these precious resources. I help the majority with translation.
    This language barrier is really a problem for growing, unfortunately.
    Otherwise thay are keen to use modern state-of-the-art tools.

• @Bilim yes, I absolutely understand your situation. In Russia, there is a similar challenge, as innovative resources are often in English, and if a teacher does not use English in their daily life, they simply do not have access to these materials. However, there are some positive initiatives (individual projects, Internet portals, NGOs) that promote, for example, greener education and translate lesson plans and other resources from English into the native language, making them accessible for a wider range of Biology, Georgaphy and other teachers, not only for teachers of English.

Do you have anything similar in Kazakhstan?

• Yes, @Ana_moderator translation buro and publishing houses help with translation, at least in a nutshell:) the translators struggle in finding relevant equivalents of evolving terms and concepts. Their proper comprehension require debates and negotiation with broader public.

• @Ana_moderator
    I invite you to visit my website, which suggests a number of ways to recycle plastic:
    https://connectinngclassrooms.wordpress.com/first-work-of-our-students/a-propos/

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• @Ana_moderator
    This some videos in youtube ( work of my students):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfX1dfBXeu_0BgyjuDXgHKA

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• @Ana_moderator
    Teaching about climate change can be engaging and impactful with the right activities and resources. Here are some ideas:
    Activities:

1. Climate Change Debate: Divide students into groups representing different stakeholders (e.g., governments, industries, environmental organizations) and have them debate various aspects of climate change policies, such as mitigation strategies or adaptation measures.
    2. Carbon Footprint Calculations: Guide students through calculating their own carbon footprint using online calculators. Then, discuss ways to reduce their carbon footprint and the broader implications of individual actions on climate change.
    3. Role-playing Games: Create a simulation where students take on different roles in a society affected by climate change, such as farmers, policymakers, or activists. This can help them understand the complexities of decision-making in addressing climate issues.
    4. Case Studies: Present real-world case studies of communities or regions impacted by climate change. Have students analyze the causes, effects, and responses to these challenges, fostering critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
    5. Climate Change Art Project: Encourage students to express their understanding of climate change through art, whether it's painting, sculpture, poetry, or music. This can help evoke emotions and foster a deeper connection to the issue.
    6. Outdoor Field Trips: Take students on field trips to local ecosystems or renewable energy facilities. This hands-on experience can deepen their understanding of the environment and alternative energy solutions.

• Resources:

1. Scientific Reports and Articles: Use reputable sources such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports, NASA's climate change website, or peer-reviewed scientific journals to provide up-to-date information on climate science.

2. Documentaries and Films: Screen documentaries like "An Inconvenient Truth," "Before the Flood," or "Chasing Ice" to engage students visually and emotionally with the realities of climate change.

3. Interactive Websites and Apps: Explore interactive websites and apps like Climate Interactive's "En-ROADS" simulation or NASA's Climate Kids website, which offer engaging tools and resources for learning about climate change.

4. Guest Speakers: Invite experts in climate science, environmental policy, or activism to speak to your class and provide firsthand insights into the complexities of addressing climate change.

5. Books and Articles: Incorporate readings from books like "The Sixth Extinction" by Elizabeth Kolbert or "This Changes Everything" by Naomi Klein to delve into the broader societal and economic implications of climate change.

By combining these activities and resources, you can create a comprehensive and engaging curriculum that empowers students to understand, analyze, and take action on climate change.

• @Ana_moderator
    Climate change is having an increasingly significant impact on the lives of people around the world. Language education can provide learners with subject-specific and functional language for learning about the topic, and discussing ways in which we might work together on identifying and implementing solutions. Blog-MD-climatechange-April2019-feature-768x438.png
    Climate-Change-Activity-Ideas-768x543.png
    infographic_image-for-web.png

• @Bilim Nouveau Document Microsoft Word_001.jpg

• 👍 Nice topic

• @Bousl2336873cb4
    My appreciation for this useful activities, I'll definately use them, perfect.

• I really like the idea of inviting a guest speaker to a classroom!
    It can be organized virtually as well, the guest can be even from a different country.
    Have you heard of a project "Skype a Scientist"? It matches your classroom with scientists for Q&A sessions, there is a big database, where you can find a guest speaker if you want to talk about climate change

• Climate change for me is summed up in the minimal actions of our young people and particularly my students in class......Each year I teach more than 120 students and only 20% of them get involved with this notion of our future on earth, I believe that my objective will be achieved......Am I right Ms. Anastasia?

• @Ana_moderator

Creating a sensory garden on a school green roof was a wonderful strategy to involve my students with disabilities in climate change education. By incorporating sensory elements such as diverse textures, colors, scents, and sounds, the garden can provide a stimulating and inclusive learning environment.

This hands-on approach allows students to engage directly with nature, fostering an understanding of plant life cycles, biodiversity, and the role of green spaces in combating climate change. Integrating the garden into the curriculum through activities like planting, watering, and observing growth not only teaches responsibility but also makes the topic of climate change tangible and relevant. Ensuring accessibility with features like raised beds and clear pathways and involving the broader school community through events and workshops, can further enhance the educational impact and promote a collective commitment to sustainability.

• @Ana_moderator

Their mission is simple, yet impactful: to make science accessible and fun through personal connections with scientists. Amazing. We need more Scientifics, and this will promote that reality. I will try it next school year.

Here is the link: https://www.skypeascientist.com/

• @BRYANb8875625e5 said in Activities and resources for teaching about Climate Change:

Creating a sensory garden on a school green roof was a wonderful strategy to involve my students with disabilities in climate change education. By incorporating sensory elements such as diverse textures, colors, scents, and sounds, the garden can provide a stimulating and inclusive learning environment.

Great! Do you have pictures of it? Could you share some of them so we see how it looks?