• 21st-century skills, SPED and Robots

Re: Inclusive Education Resources

About five years ago, I worked with a group of students with intellectual disabilities and behavioral challenges. In searching for strategies and materials, I came up with the idea of using collaborative activities to promote communication, teamwork, and collaboration as 21st-century skills. I wrote a proposal and purchased some Lego Mindstorm robots, and it was magical to see how they developed skills through something that motivated them so much.

Then we create social stories, and they code the robot to express the particular emotion. That's why I love technology, is magic.

sally.jpg

• Hello Bryan
    In the 21st century, honing 21st-century skills like critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration has become increasingly vital. For instance, in the realm of education, students need to critically evaluate information sources, collaborate effectively on projects, and creatively solve problems. Special Education (SPED) ensures that all students, including those with disabilities, receive tailored support to thrive academically and socially. For instance, a student with dyslexia may receive specialized reading instruction to help them succeed in school. Meanwhile, robots, with their advancing capabilities, are transforming industries and daily life. In medicine, surgical robots assist surgeons with precision operations, improving patient outcomes through minimally invasive procedures. These examples illustrate how 21st-century skills, SPED, and robots intersect to shape our world and enhance human capabilities.

"Empowering students through engaging education, fostering environmental consciousness, and advancing scientific literacy. Committed to shaping future leaders in Life and Earth Sciences."

• @BRYANb8875625e5 Congrats, that's an inspiring story! Using Lego Mindstorm robots to teach communication and teamwork is such a creative approach. It's amazing how technology can engage and motivate students, helping them develop essential skills in a fun and meaningful way. Thanks for sharing!

• @Sahar730dd459d2

Hi Sahar,
    Hope everything is going well.

As teachers we have be creative all the time. Sometimes we plan a class with the expectation that everything is going to run like we thought it would, but in my experience almost nothing run as smoothly as it was planned. Technology is one of my partners in every plan, because it motivates the 90% of my students.

Best,
    Mr. Bryan

• @BRYANb8875625e5 said in 21st-century skills, SPED and Robots:

oposal and purchased some Lego Mindstorm robots, and it was magical to see how they developed skills through something that motivated them so much.

Lego works amazing for these purposes! Thank you for sharing this practice!

• @BRYANb8875625e5 Talking about technology it can be very handy, especially when teaching young children, they loved seeing anything shown to them on screen.

• @Sahar730dd459d2

Hi Sahar,
    Hope everything is going well.

For sure kids are inherently visual learners, and technology significantly enhances their educational experience by making learning more engaging and interactive. Tools such as educational apps, AR/VR, and multimedia resources bring lessons to life, while adaptive learning software and online tutoring offer personalized instruction. That is why we need to pay attention to this generation. Technology is not only an interest, but also a strength.

Overall, integrating technology in education can transform and enrich the learning journey for children, so let's give them the best and prepared teacher.

Best,
    Mr. Bryan